Back to School

Back to School
2nd Grade

Monday, April 18, 2011

Don’t hit the panic button just yet…but I am close


I have read a number of adoption blogs where the parents-to-be are nearing their time to travel internationally to finalize their adoption and you sense a mild to hysteric panic in their blog posts. I thought to myself, “No Worries…we got this….how hard could this be…”
Well, I think I am beginning to experience that same mild panic sensation that some others had expressed in their blogs.  On one hand, both Sonja and I are so excited about bringing Zoe home (we really can’t wait to meet her) and on the other hand…how in the heck are we going to get everything done in preparation to travel. This past weekend Sonja and I worked with the airlines to ticket our Omaha to Beijing and Beijing to Omaha round trip and one way airfare for Sonja, Nathaniel, Zoe and I.  Holt International partners with a travel agency whom specializes in international adoption travel and we will utilize their services for all of our travel requirements in China.  Sonja has been working on a little photo album for Zoe that will be sent to her in advance of our trip. Sonja is pretty creative and I must say has done a great job putting the photo album together.  This week, Sonja and I will attend a conference call hosted by Holt International (our adoption agency) to help us get prepared for our travel.  This session should be very informative and help us as we get prepared for our trip.  Holt has done a very nice job throughout the process…We have received awesome support from everyone we have worked with both locally as well as from Holt’s corporate office. They are thorough, patient and very understanding considering they are dealing with a large number of adoptive parents in all stages of the adoption process.
Packing for the trip will be a hurdle…the good news is the weather in China looks to be very nice this time of year.  Temperatures in Beijing ranging from 60-80 degrees.  So, shorts will be in order…however…I must apologize in advance for any unintentional harm my pasty white legs might create. The gamma rays that bounce off my long bright white legs may be a hazard to others… I am resigned to the fact that I have virtually no chance of blending in…There is still so much to do as we get prepared for our trip…including developing a comprehensive checklist that will help us in remembering what we would/could easily forget.  
Everything is becoming so much more real for Sonja and I.  We knew the adoption process would take somewhere between 15-18 months.  Unlike pregnancy when you first notice the physical changes, the first moment that this felt real was when we received pictures, video and medical history of Zoe. Both Sonja and I knew immediately Zoe was the one… I think the second real moment for me was when we received travel approval and arranged the flights this weekend.  The anticipation and excitement is actually very similar to when we were expecting and had Nathaniel…I am not sure that we are any more prepared as parents 14 years later but hopefully  wiser and more patient.
Anyhow…more to come...thanks for reading…

No comments:

Post a Comment