Back to School

Back to School
2nd Grade

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Summer Time....is almost over!!!

It appears summer is all but coming to an end.  In the past week Sonja has gone back to work and Zoe is now going to day care/preschool.  She absolutely loves it. There a number of other 4 year olds that she gets to play with on a daily basis, they get to a lot of fun art projects and they have a structured preschool which is really helping her learn new words. Today when I dropped her off we went into the room of 4 year old and she immediately wrapped her arms around her teacher. It is fun to watch her as she continues to adjust to her new environment. 

Zoe as the Masked Crusader

Zoe's art project at school (cape, belt and mask)

Zoe was so proud of her super hero costume
When she is around the house, Zoe loves to color, watch TV, sing and run around the house. She likes barbeque, sweet corn, mac-n-cheese and tuna fish.  She also now likes cold milk! We have also learned she does not like pickles. Zoe particularly likes to look at herself in the mirror.  Sometimes she will look at herself for 4-5 minutes making silly faces, she also likes to walk by mirrors and look at herself as she walks by. She no longer shows any fear of Abbey and Bear our two dogs and likes to wrestle with her brother. She still is having problems sleeping.  As she continues to wake up in the middle of the night and begins to cry. We are hoping as she continues to adjust that this behavior will fade away.  So, all is going well…much better than we had ever anticipated.
In the next few weeks Zoe should begin playing soccer and gymnastics. She seems to enjoy being active so we are keeping our fingers crossed that she has fun. Going through sports with a girl should be a lot of fun.  I know Sonja cannot wait to get her some pink cleats.  Really….pink cleats…so I will need to adjust.
Nathaniel starts high school (9th grade) next week. Football practice started last Monday afternoon and they are already in full pads going through all the various hitting drills. Compared to many of the boys, he is sooo small compared to many of the other boys. Last three days that had band camp at school.  Nathaniel plays the trombone and is learning to March. He seems to enjoy it and both Sonja and I like the fact he is doing something outside of the sports arena.  Finally, he starts fall baseball next week which should be fun.  Fall baseball is much more relaxed and allows him to pay other positions and work on parts of the game he wants to focus in on.  Nathaniel is a switch hitter, so he likes to focus on his left side during the fall.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I let Nathaniel drive my car the other day.  Needless to say I was a nervous wreck. I felt I had just time traveled back to when my father was teaching me to drive a stick. Now I understand!!! Nathaniel likes to punch the gas and slam on the breaks. Like he is playing an x-box video game. My neck still hurts.  The great part of teaching Nathaniel is knowing that I know he has my life in his hands…how scary is that!!!!

Nathaniel trying on his Gross High School Football Helmet

No comments:

Post a Comment